“Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, these ripples build a current that can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance.”
– Robert F. Kennedy, 1966
2017 Embracing the Legacy Award Nominations
Since 2006, Robert F. Kennedy Children’s Action Corps has presented extraordinary honorees with the Embracing the Legacy Award each year. This coveted award is one of the country’s most prestigious honors in child welfare and juvenile justice.
The purpose of this award is to acknowledge and honor individuals and organizations whose extraordinary actions have reflected the social values and hopes of Senator Robert F. Kennedy by raising awareness and fighting against injustice and inequity in society which affect children and their families.
The award is given based on an individual’s or organization’s expression of these values in one or more of the following three ways:
- The nominee has made and continues to make a positive impact on the lives of children and families.
- The nominee has provided direct services or assistance to aid children and families.
- The nominee has raised awareness about inequalities within society that affect children and families.
- Individuals and organizations need not have a pre-existing relationship with RFK Children’s Action Corps.
- Individuals and organizations must have had a notable, positive impact on the lives of children.
- Organizations may be for profit corporations, non-profit agencies, volunteer or fraternal organizations, or any self-identified groups.
- Honorees must be present at Embracing the Legacy to receive the award.
*Nominations for the 2017 Embracing the Legacy Award are now closed. Please check back for announcement of this year’s honorees.